The Free Kick Radio Show is a freeform radio experience featuring music from every region of the world. Soul, Funk, Punk, Reggae, Prog rock, Kraut rock, Ska, Psychedelia, Afro, Cuban, Brazilian, Avant-Garde, Jazz, New Wave, Classical, Folk, Electronica, is just a small sample of the kinds of music we’ve dug up from around the globe. Rare gems, hallowed favorites, bizarre constructions and dumb songs; you can never know what we’ll play unless you tune in.
The Free Kick Radio Show began in 2005 when Shawn (Clara-Swan) Kennedy, Dave Macaulay and Christian Durand got together to make a show proposal to CKUT for a freeform music show. Originally on Wednesday nights, Christian left when we moved to a bi-weekly slot on Saturday nights in early 2006. When jazz legend Len Dobbin passed away in 2009, The Free Kick Radio Show moved in to his Sunday time slot, from 11 am to 1 pm. In the spring of 2014 Dave moved away for work reasons and now Clara-Swan Kennedy flies on, but not alone. Each week Clara-Swan brings a new guest host on board for a unique brunchtime musical journey.
Sundays find Clara-Swan in studio, kicking it live, from 11 am – 1 pm Eastern time.
- If you’re around Montreal, you can listen live on the FM band at 90.3.
- If you’re listening live by internet, use CKUT’s handy flash player right from the Home page
- If you want to download the show as a weekly podcast, add the following URL to your podcast thingy: http://freekickradio.wordpress.com/feed/
- If you want to browse pre-spring 2014 playlists and listen to some awesome archived shows dating back to early 2006, visit our old website at freekick.ca/index.html
- You can also follow Free Kick on Twitter – find out what we are playing, as we play it!
- Get with Freekick on Facebook for reminders and extra goodies!